Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Different sectors of the 9/11 Truth movement - Page 2

Tags: truthers are fucking retarded, 9/11, truth movement, 9/11 conspiracy theories debunked [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to 9/11 Can | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 19, 2010 - 22:04
(0)

Level: 1
CS Original

As for Nicholas Levis's websites: As far as overall quality of websites go, Nick's are not the best that the 9/11 Truth movement has to offer, although they do have some very interesting material on them.

The very best website connected with the 9/11 Truth movement, by far, is The Complete 9/11 Timeline on the History Commons site (formerly Cooperative Research). It's a massive, well-organized collection of links to and summaries of mainstream news stories pertaining to 9/11. People of all points of view have used it as a reference. It's recommended even on the 9/11 Myths site (where it's listed as "Cooperative Research").

I mention Nicholas Levis because, of the many 9/11 Truth activists I've personally interacted with both online and offline, he's one of the ones I have the most respect for. Also his websites are a must for anyone who might want to research the early history of the 9/11 Truth movement.

Most of the material on his websites is older than 2005, and was written back in the days when he was a leading 9/11 Truth activist, back in 2003 to 2005. For example, the "Justice for 9/11" petition was written back in 2004. Thus, a lot of the material there is dated and is mainly of historical interest.

If you've never heard of him, it's because the heyday of his activism was before the movement got a lot of mass media publicity in 2005. He became a lot less active after a big falling-out with Les Jamieson back in 2005 (or 2006?).

Since then, his participation in the movement has been largely confined to message boards, which is where I know him from. Among other places, he posts on the Democratic Underground message board (as "Jack Riddler" or "JackRiddler"). (He also posts on Truth Action as "Nicholas" and on TruthMove as "NicholasLevis.")

It is true that Nick Levis has allied himself with some WTC demolition advocates. However, he himself has often voiced strong doubts about the demolition idea. I recall various message board posts in which he referred sarcastically to the "Church of Demolition." He has tended to take a neutral stance on the demolition question itself, while opposing dogmatism about it. He has strongly opposed the more obviously wacky stuff like no-planes, mini-nukes, and "Star Wars Beams."

The view he leans towards is not "LIHOP" but what he calls "LIHOP Plus" in this article he wrote back in 2004. On that page, he states:

I think the likeliest hypothesis is of an inside job that exploited a "genuine" terrorist plot. Sometime between the Bojinka Plot of 1996 and 9/11 itself, the original Islamic-extremist dream of crashbombing planes into American targets was subverted and then steered to fruition by masterminds within the US power elite. This is the logical way to leave a robust trail of evidence pointing to the patsies. The perfect plot would produce a patsy who sincerely believed he had himself committed the crime - like Marinus van der Lubbe, the man who went proudly to his execution for burning down the German Reichstag (parliament) in 1933, although there is no realistic doubt the Nazis themselves set the fire.

I'm not inclined to agree at this point, but he is someone I've had worthwhile conversations with. He's not a dogmatic idiot.

#31 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Apr 19, 2010 - 22:53
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

Diane, I am curious that you seem to regard "agnosticism" regarding the events of 9/11, or at least the opposition of what you call "dogmatism," as a virtue. Yet, reading over the NYARBB position papers (on the website you linked in your first post on this forum), it appears that your organization cannot countenance "agnosticism" regarding what you regard as "grand conspiracy ideology." I admit I don't understand the difference for that distinction.

Don't get me wrong--I certainly don't disagree with your organization's view that what you characterize as "grand conspiracy ideology" is absolutely unacceptable under any circumstances, and I think most of the regulars who post on this board would agree with that.

However, personally--and I do not claim to speak for anyone else but myself here--I see no distinction between 9/11 Truthers of any stripe and those who you regard as believers in "grand conspiracy ideology." In my view, both views are equally idiotic, and both views are equally corrosive to logic, common sense, critical thinking and the ideals of a democratic society, and the hope of being able to stamp out such ludicrous beliefs once and for all is my entire reason for being a debunker.

9/11 Truth in any form is a fringe woo belief absolutely divorced from objective reality and I don't think there's any getting around that. It's like denying gravity or pretending the world is 6,000 years old--it just goes against what is demonstrable reality. Distinguishing between Nick Levis and Judy Wood or Steven Jones seems to me to be a distinction without a difference. I realize you probably disagree, but I'm just trying to explain where I'm coming from here, and why I continue to be uncomfortable with characterizations of any members of the 9/11 Truth movement as reasonable or respectable. I also state that I have yet to meet any reasonable or respectable Truthers, meaning, Truthers who are not utter conspiracy wingnuts. Dealing with loons like Truth is Real or Plautus Satire, here or on the FB page, leaves one with understandably little faith that people who share their bizarre beliefs remain capable of any form of rational thought.

#32 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 01:42
(0)

CS Original

To Muertos:

First, please note that while New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry (NYARBB) takes an officially neutral stance on "9/11 inside job" theories, we do make a point of urging people to read what the debunkers have to say and to be, at the very least, very cautious about believing in "conspiracy theories" in the sense of controversial allegations of government wrongdoing.

Second, the aims of NYARBB are not the same as the aims of the skeptical/debunker community, although there is some overlap. We oppose grand conspiracy ideology because it nearly always entails religion-based bigotry. 9/11 inside job theories, on the other hand, are relatively peripheral to the issue of religion-based bigotry.

The main (unstated) reason why NYARBB concerns itself with 9/11 at all is to harness my experiential knowledge of the 9/11 Truth movement in service to our opposition against grand conspiracy ideology.

We aim to turn people in the 9/11 Truth movement against grand conspiracy ideology -- which is a whole lot more important to us than challenging any other aspect of their beliefs. Outright opposing their other beliefs would undermine our ability to talk to them about grand conspiracy ideology.

At the annual 9/11 anniversary events held by NYC's 9/11 Truth groups in 2008 and 2009, we passed out two pieces of literature: (1) a leaflet titled "Support a new investigation of 9/11. But let’s NOT endorse religiously bigoted 'Illuminati' claims," and (2) a pamphlet titled "Why we need a new investigation of 9/11," advocating an investigation on mainstream grounds without advocating "inside job" theories. An unstated purpose of the latter pamphlet was to establish our credibility to 9/11 Truth activists as people who share their desire for a new investigation, in the hope that they'll be more inclined to listen to our concerns about grand conspiracy ideology.

Our approach seems to have worked, to at least to some extent. Both times we tried it, we got quite a few people thanking us for both pieces of literature. We encountered some opposition too, but not a lot of opposition.

#33 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
SkyPosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 02:07
(0)

Level: 3
CS Original

"Support a new investigation of 9/11. But let’s NOT endorse religiously bigoted 'Illuminati' claims,"

What makes believing in the Illuminati so religiously bigoted anyway?

#34 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 02:12
(0)

CS Original

Muertos wrote:

Dealing with loons like Truth is Real or Plautus Satire, here or on the FB page, leaves one with understandably little faith that people who share their bizarre beliefs remain capable of any form of rational thought.

I would suggest that you take a look at the Truth Action forum, especially their News and Discussion forum. Don't try to post there; that forum is for 9/11 Truth activists only, and only for those with relatively moderate views (e.g. it excludes no-planers, space beam advocates, and Holocaust revisionists). Most of the posters there do have what you would consider to be "bizarre beliefs," but nevertheless are capable having intelligent conversation.

Should you wish to attempt dialogue with some of these people, I would suggest the 9/11 forum at Democratic Underground, although that forum attracts its share of idiots and apparent hoaxters too.

#35 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 02:23
(0)

CS Original

Sky wrote:

What makes believing in the Illuminati so religiously bigoted anyway?

The Illuminati are nearly always alleged to be one of the following, or some combination thereof:

1) Evil Pagans, occultists, and/or Satanists. (The most common variant these days. See Alex's Jones's video about the Bohemian Grove, for a well-known example.)
2) Evil atheists.
3) Evil Jews.

And, even when it doesn't explicitly involve Jews, paranoia about the Illuminati is almost identical to, and is historically intertwined with, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It is laden with classic Judeophobic myths, even when some other vilified group has been substituted for Jews.

And the largest American subculture in which Illuminati beliefs have been nurtured these past several decades has been the evangelical/charismatic Christian community, wherein Illuminati beliefs have been used as a religious right wing recruiting tool, by the likes of Pat Robertson and Tim LaHaye.

#36 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
SkyPosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 02:43
(0)

Level: 3
CS Original

And the largest American subculture in which Illuminati beliefs have been nurtured these past several decades has been the evangelical/charismatic Christian community, wherein Illuminati beliefs have been used as a religious right wing recruiting tool, by the likes of Pat Robertson and Tim LaHaye.

I don't think you have to worry about those guy's recruiting people from the 9/11 truth groups. Pat Robertson said that God was the one responsible for 9/11, remember? And Robertson and LaHaye are Christian Zionists. Most of the Truther crowd, even the hardcore religious nuts, probably think they are disinfo.

#37 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 03:09
(0)

CS Original

Sky wrote:

I don't think you have to worry about those guy's recruiting people from the 9/11 truth groups. Pat Robertson said that God was the one responsible for 9/11, remember? And Robertson and LaHaye are Christian Zionists. Most of the Truther crowd, even the hardcore religious nuts, likely think they are disinfo.

You're right that Robertson and LaHaye probably could not, personally, recruit from 9/11 Truth groups, although Robertson and LaHaye were earlier popularizers of the same "Illuminati" mythology that was subsequently adopted by the "Patriot" movement.

I do think there's reason to be concerned that other, more extreme religious right wing groups, e.g. "Christian militia" groups like the Hutaree, might indeed seek to recruit from the "Patriot" movement, including the "Patriot" movement's overlap with the 9/11 Truth movement.

At the very least, there are already some people who see the 9/11 Truth movement as a place to promote Christian apocalyptic beliefs combined with grand conspiracy ideology. At last year's 9/11 anniversary events in NYC, there was a guy who ran around trying to tell us all that every bar code supposedly contains "666," and that the Bank of America logo is based on the relevant bar code symbols.

Edit: Also, although Alex Jones usually gives a more secular gloss to his version of grand conspiracy ideology, some of the guests on his show have been full-blown religious bigots. And even Alex Jones himself does get into the anti-Pagan/occultist/Satanist thing.

#38 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 07:14
(0)

Level: 10
CS Original

Diane,

I showed you clear evidence that Nicholas Levis is just a typical dishonest ignorant truther from the very websites YOU tried to use as evidence of this.

Just why do you respect him?

Why on earth do you reference Truth Action? They still believe in all the same nonsense like explosives. When will you understand that explosives in the towers is just as stupid as no planes at the Pentagon/Shanksville claims they don't like?

Just what is respectful about these people?

They are not knowledgeable, they are not competent, they are not honest.

The Complete 9/11 Timeline can be useful purely because it lists every news report but its quite clearly a truther website when you consider that it makes no attempt to differentiate between news reports and helps lend credence to all the most stupid truther claims because of it. They also have articles with a clear truther bent and have articles on people like Steven Jones. They use phrases like this: "Gruesome Remains Found at Ground Zero, but Supposedly No Black Boxes". It also is quite misleading when it summaries multiple news sources not taking into account context, the actual source or when they contradicted each other or if they were supported with evidence. Just look at the page they have regarding the $100,000 wire transfer claim:
http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a093001pakistanmoneymedia In fact you can tell how wrong and misleading the website is since "Press for Truth" was based on it, with the guy that runs it featuring in it. They make no attempt to explain that the $100,000 wire transfer never happened, its just treated as an accepted fact and reading History Commons' pages about it you can see why.

It is true that Nick Levis has allied himself with some WTC demolition advocates.

And he also promotes all the similar nonsense on his websites, not just demolition advocates.

" He has tended to take a neutral stance on the demolition question itself, while opposing dogmatism about it.

Sorry that's not good enough. You don't need to be an expert to realise demolition advocates are as wrong as I have been explaining. If he just doesn't want to rock the boat of his fellow truthers then he is dishonest. You can't get around it. Either way a very poor example of someone you claim is a credible rational person in the Truth Movement.

You were the one that told us that people in the Truth Movement had legitimate reasons for a new investigation, the person you give as an example of such people is Nicholas Levis. Its not looking good so far, so you have anyone else or is he the best you can do?

I mean seriously, people like Michael Ruppert I don't know of advocating demolitions or no planes. But lets just assume he is only LIHOP for the sake of argument, the guy is wrong about everything and pisses me off just as much as these "demolition advocates" because of how blase he seems to be about research. He is probably the best example you have and he's terrible.

#39 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 11:49
(0)

CS Original

OK, Diane, I think I understand where you're coming from. It's making sense now.

"We aim to turn people in the 9/11 Truth movement against grand conspiracy ideology -- which is a whole lot more important to us than challenging any other aspect of their beliefs. Outright opposing their other beliefs would undermine our ability to talk to them about grand conspiracy ideology."

So you are trying to infiltrate the Truther movement to indoctrinate them against Illuminati theories and using the call for a new investigation as a Trojan horse to prove your chops to them.

I certainly don't oppose anyone's attempts to turn people away from Illuminati theories. Forgive me, though, if I'm somewhat skeptical that this approach is going to have a lot of success. My observation is that the only reason most Truthers want a new investigation is because they expect it will uncover evidence of a conspiracy. The best Truthers can hope for from an investigation expressly limited to non-woo subjects (i.e., those legitimate unanswered questions that you feel non-Truthers can get behind as well) is that somehow the investigators will stumble upon "evidence" of the conspiraccy, or at the very least that such an investigation will serve as a public platform for the views of people like Richard Gage, Willie Rodriguez and other conspiracists that the Truth movement will invariably agitate to have called as witnesses.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me like you're getting the worst of both worlds here. Truthers won't trust you because they'll suspect you're disinfo planted by the Illuminati, and skeptics won't trust you because you're bending over backwards to make nice with the Truthers. In a nutshell, you're damned because you don't endorse 9/11 conspiracy theories and you're damned because you don't oppose them either.

That's just my 2 cents, not intended as a provocation.

#40 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 12:23
(0)

CS Original

To Ed:

In your post above, you focus strictly on the content of people's beliefs, deeming them to be "dishonest," etc. because they believe the wrong things.

On the other hand, I tend to judge people not so much by the content of their beliefs, but more by how they think and talk about their beliefs, and by whether they are capable of serious dialogue.

Too many people, of all points of view, tend to assume that anyone who disagrees with them must have something seriously wrong with them. I prefer to keep in mind that different people's cultural backgrounds and life experience will lead them to very different conclusions.

What's important, to me, is a person's ability to reflect on and critically examine one's own conclusions. And I don't assume that anyone who reflects on and critically examines one's own conclusions is necessarily going to reach the same conclusions I've reached. Rather, I judge their thinking ability by the way they present their views and by the way they behave in dialogue.

Nicholas Levis's websites do contain thoughtfully written articles. Even if one does not agree with his conclusions or his bias, he has clearly put thought into them, to a far greater degree than a lot of other people in the 9/11 Truth movement whom you might have run into on the Internet.

His intelligence is even more evident in his posts in the 9/11 forum on Democratic Underground, where he (as "JackRiddler") dialogues with debunkers. (Unfortunately, that forum does attract quite a few idiots and apparent hoaxters too.)

I pointed you to the Truth Action forum because some of the posters there, too, do reflect on their beliefs, to a greater degree than you might be accustomed to seeing when you've encountered "inside job" believers online.

Are you even capable of noticing at all when people reflect on their beliefs, other than if and when they ever finally decide to agree with your beliefs?

As for legitimate reasons for a new investigation, I've already spelled some of them out in the threads Legitimate topics for a follow-up to the 9/11 Commission and Context of 9/11 coverup allegations.

#41 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 12:52
(0)

Level: 10
CS Original

I tend to judge people not so much by the content of their beliefs, but more by how they think and talk about their beliefs, and by whether they are capable of serious dialogue.

I do that too, so if as you suggest Nick to be, I understood typical truthers to be liars and incompetents then promoting them on my website anyway makes me intellectually dishonest and shows that I don't care about promoting known liars to further my cause.

He has that petition which is 99% full of typical truther crap, he actually associated himself with that rubbish! Has he ever come out and specifically distanced himself from all that stuff? Why didn't he remove his website and issue some form of retraction from all that stuff? That's what I would have done and in fact have done many times retracted al the stupid stuff I have said on forums. If I had put out as much material as Nick as done I'd be making damn sure people knew what I really thought and fully distance myself from the Truth Movement and their stupid claims. Has Nick ever done that? Nope, because he is not the respectable person you claim he is.

Even on his very own site where presumably no one forces him to include anything he doesn't want to, even if we ignore that fact that its all just standard truther nonsense again, under "BEST 9/11 RESEARCH SITES" it even lists your typical demolition theory nonsense websites! In fact the VERY FIRST ONE is one of these websites! How can you possibly defend someone who does that and promote claims that you say he doesn't even believe in anyway! Clearly the guy has no problems with trying to convince people of things he already knows aren't true.

Either he really does believe that stuff and you're wrong, or he doesn't and is intellectually dishonest enough to defend it AND promote it anyway, making you still wrong. I mean seriously what if he also linked to Eric Hufschmid's anti-semite 911 websites? Would you have a problem, then? Why? The anti-semite stuff is still just as wrong but you're just choosing to decide to look the other way when it comes to the stuff this guy advocates and promotes.

Does the end justify the means or something?

Its like people in the Zeitgeist Movement saying its okay to promote lies if it gets them the support they need. How about Alex Jones, what if he didn't really believe 90% of that stuff he says but promotes it anyway because he felt the end justifies the means? That wouldn't be very honest, would it? Because that's how honest I see Nick Levin is being.

You see you still have given me no reason whatsoever to respect the guy and you also referenced Truth Action, which again is another typical truther organisation/website and I have no idea why you could possibly think that's a good example of the kind of thing you're aiming to prove. They may have taken a strong stance against beam weapons and no planers, but come on, is really that saying much? They still believe in the rest of the catalogue of falsehoods and lies the truth movement puts out and you just referenced them in a way trying to make them sound credible in their reasons for wanting a new investigation.

What you also continue to sidestep is the fact that what you are talking about in that thread about legitimate reasons for a new investigation is completely different to what Nick Levin and groups like Truth Action want to see, yet you claim its the same. It is not and the more examples you seem to give the more apparent that gets, first Nick then Truth Action. What's next? You going to start advocating 911Truth.org or something?

If you are trying to convince us there are reasonable, rational, credible, knowledgeable and honest people in the Truth Movement you really are doing a very bad job of it.

So once again, show me a reason why Nick Levin should be respected and it better be good since he has shown himself already to be a dishonest person and according to you a known liar since he already knew these claims were false before he made them and supported people that made them. Good luck with that.

#42 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 14:48
(0)

CS Original

Muertos wrote:

So you are trying to infiltrate the Truther movement to indoctrinate them against Illuminati theories and using the call for a new investigation as a Trojan horse to prove your chops to them.

Not quite. Since I don't pretend to believe that 9/11 was an inside job, I'm not really "infiltrating." Rather, I present myself and NYARBB as an ally. I establish common ground by showing active support for the call for a new investigation, pointing out that there are valid reasons to support a new investigation even if one does not believe that 9/11 was an inside job.

Those who are serious about a new investigation recognize that they need to form alliances with other people who don't necessarily believe that 9/11 was an inside job. On that basis, they welcome my support.

If asked, I make no bones about the fact that I, personally, no longer believe in WTC demolition, and that I'm not particularly inclined to believe in an "inside job" either. But I don't press the issue. If someone tries to get into a debate with me about it at a 9/11 Truth movement event, I say something like, "Let's discuss this over dinner, if you'd like to hang out with me later. One doesn't have to believe in an inside job to see that we should have a new investigation."

Back in the days when I did believe in an "inside job," I fought against grand conspiracy ideology from within the 9/11 Truth movement. To some extent I succeeded, at least in the Truth Action forum. Alex Jones and "New World Order" paranoia in general are now very much disliked there, by most of the people who post there. (There are still a couple of die-hard NWO believers there, the last time I looked, but they are very much in the minority, and most of the others understand that there are a lot of things wrong with NWO paranoia.) Also I succeeded to some extent among the members of New York 9/11 Truth whom I knew in person.

I now have a lot less contact with the 9/11 Truth movement than I did when I myself was an "inside job" believer. But I do feel that my participation in the 9/11 anniversary events of 2008 and 2009 was a productive use of my time.

The best Truthers can hope for from an investigation expressly limited to non-woo subjects (i.e., those legitimate unanswered questions that you feel non-Truthers can get behind as well) is that somehow the investigators will stumble upon "evidence" of the conspiraccy

Indeed, if one believes in an inside job but does not believe in grand conspiracy ideology, then one should logically regard it as highly likely that one would uncover evidence of the inside job by pursuing the allegations of Sibel Edmonds and other national security whistleblowers (although these whistleblowers are not alleging an inside job per se), or by digging deeper into the unanswered question of why NORAD told a story "so far from the truth" that the Commission considered pressing criminal charges.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me like you're getting the worst of both worlds here. Truthers won't trust you because they'll suspect you're disinfo planted by the Illuminati

I actually have not gotten that response from very many people.

Back when I believed in an inside job and was active in the 9/11 Truth movement, I sarcastically dared people to think of me as disinfo planted by the Illuminati. On a blog I kept back then, I remember writing something like, "I'm very annoyed by the prevalence of Ron Paul-ism and Alex Jones-ism in some 9/11 Truth movement groups. I'm a member of Phi Beta Kappa -- which, according to some folks, makes me a member of the Illuninati. Oh, and my grandfather was a Mason!"

There are quite a few people I encountered in the 9/11 Truth movement who never did buy into the whole "New World Order" thing, but who didn't speak up against it either, until I came along. I also ran into some other people, from a leftist background, who tried to interpret "the Illuminati" as just another word for the ruling class, understood in a Marxist sense, until I came along and explained the vast differences between the two concepts.

Furthermore, among most (though not all) of the people I've known in the 9/11 Truth movement, a person like me who doesn't believe in an inside job, but who doesn't make a big point of arguing against it either, is not considered "disinfo." The latter label is most commonly reserved for (1) the people who promote no-planes claims, space beams, mini-nukes, etc., and (2) the more prolific debunkers, especially the more obnoxious ones.

skeptics won't trust you because you're bending over backwards to make nice with the Truthers. In a nutshell, you're damned because you don't endorse 9/11 conspiracy theories and you're damned because you don't oppose them either.

I am now trying to establish some common ground with the 9/11 debunker community as well, by contributing to the debunking of the particular argument that I personally found most convincing back when I believed in an inside job. (See the thread on The "symmetry of collapse" argument.) I don't intend to spend much time on 9/11 debunking, but I'd like to help fill one glaring gap.

I should also mention here that one of the criteria by which I, personally, evaluate another person's rationality and overall sanity is the ability of that person to put differences aside and work together on matters of common concern. Another of my criteria is the person's ability to engage in reasoned dialogue about differences of opinion.

Unfortunately, many people of all belief systems, including even some skeptics, do tend to be, to some extent, blinded by tribal instincts, including black-and-white thinking. To the extent that I get the reaction you predict I'll get from the skeptical community, what it will prove to me is that some skeptics are in some ways less rational than many 9/11 Truthers! Fortunately, there do exist skeptics who are capable of engaging in reasoned dialogue with people of different points of view. One of the best exemplars is the 9/11 Myths site.

#43 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 15:33
(0)

CS Original

Ed wrote:

I do that too, so if as you suggest Nick to be, I understood typical truthers to be liars and incompetents then promoting them on my website anyway makes me intellectually dishonest and shows that I don't care about promoting known liars to further my cause.

I can't speak for Nicholas, but, as far as I am aware, he does NOT consider the demolition advocates to be "known liars." He considers them to be sincere proponents of a point of view whose validity has not yet been adequately determined. As for why he doesn't consider various debunkings to be adequate, you'll have to go onto Democratic Underground and ask him yourself, if you want to know. I have not been in contact with him for over a year, nor do I wish to take the time to interview him on this matter myself.

As for the other, non-demolition points, he apparently does consider them to be valid questions, or at least did consider them to be valid questions at the time they were written, even if some of them have been answered since them. If you don't see how anyone in their right mind could ever have considered them to be valid in the first place, I would suggest that you ask Nicholas.

One suggestion: If you talk to him, please focus just on the validity of specific allegations. Do not attack his sources as "liars" or otherwise jump to conclusions about their motives or character, beyond things like pointing out lack of qualifications (e.g. Steven Jones is not a chemist). More generally, try to be polite.

What you also continue to sidestep is the fact that what you are talking about in that thread about legitimate reasons for a new investigation is completely different to what Nick Levin and groups like Truth Action want to see, yet you claim its the same.

No, I don't claim it's the same. My reasons are, obviously, only a small subset of their reasons. I think that they should emphasize my reasons more than the other stuff. To that end, I aim to set a positive example.

I also think that if some 9/11 debunkers were to approach the 9/11 Truth movement in a manner somewhat similar to what I'm doing with NYARBB, they could convince more people in the 9/11 Truth movement to (1) advocate for a new investigation in a more reasonable way and (2) pay more attention to the less obnoxious debunking sites, such as 9/11 Myths.

More specifically, my suggestion is that some 9/11 debunkers do the following: (1) Write their own reasoned call for a new investigation, based on legitimate questions, showing by example how to write a legitimate call; (2) point out that it's very important to make sure that one is asking the right questions; and (3) point out that it is, therefore, very important for people in the 9/11 Truth movement to start paying more attention to what the better debunkers are saying.

#44 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 20, 2010 - 21:59
(0)

CS Original

Earlier, I talked about my successes so far in opposing grand conspiracy ideology among people in the 9/11 Truth movement, both when I was active in the movement myself and subsequently. I don't want to convey the impression that my experiences with the movement were all smooth sailing, though. So, here's a little more about my experiences with the 9/11 Truth movement.

As I said, I have not run into a lot of people calling me "Illuminati disinfo." But there are three categories of people whom I did run into some trouble with, back in 2007 when I was active in the movement.

1) Hardcore Alex Jones fans and other hardcore believers in NWO paranoia, obviously. In my experence, these are as prevalent in the 9/11 Truth movement as some people here apparently think. I've run into lots of people in the 9/11 Truth movement who dislike Alex Jones for one reason or another. In many cases, they just feel embarrassed by the "hecklivism" of We Are Change.

2) A small group of old-timers who hate Les Jamieson for various reasons (including justified criticism of his past history of giving a platform to wacky no-planers and such) and who therefore disliked me for getting involved in New York 9/11 Truth (whose meetings I attended because it was, at least, not a group of hardcore Alex Jones fans)

3) What Nicholas calls the "Church of Demolition." These are folks who dogmatically advocate not only WTC demolition but also a full MIHOP scenario involving remote-controlled planes and faked phone calls. Anyone who doesn't insist that there were no hijackers is seen as a "LIHOP limited hangout" and a traitor to the movement (although the folks whom they call "LIHOP limited hangout" actually include some MIHOP and "LIHOP Plus" advocates too). This dogmatic attitude is justified on the alleged grounds that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were based on the "lie" of the hijackings; hence the top priority must be to insist that there were no live human hijackers.

I got into trouble with that last group because I was never 100% convinced of WTC demolition and urged people to avoid overstating the case for it, and because I was never inclined to disbelieve that there were live human hijackers.

However, in my experience, most people in the 9/11 Truth movement understand that, in order to achieve any political goal, they need to form alliances with other people, who don't necessarily believe in WTC demolition or any kind of inside job.

#45 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:51
(0)

CS Original

I wrote earlier:

The main (unstated) reason why NYARBB concerns itself with 9/11 at all is to harness my experiential knowledge of the 9/11 Truth movement in service to our opposition against grand conspiracy ideology.

I should clarify that this isn't my own personal main reason for being concerned about 9/11, but it's the main reason why 9/11 fits within the agenda of NYARBB.

#46 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:54
(0)

CS Original

duplicate. Please delete.

#47 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:55
(0)

CS Original

Correction of major meaning-changing typo:

As I said, I have not run into a lot of people calling me "Illuminati disinfo." But there are three categories of people whom I did run into some trouble with, back in 2007 when I was active in the movement.

1) Hardcore Alex Jones fans and other hardcore believers in NWO paranoia, obviously. In my experience, these are as prevalent in the 9/11 Truth movement as some people here apparently think.

I meant to say: "In my experience, these are not as prevalent in the 9/11 Truth movement as some people here apparently think."

#48 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 13:01
(0)

CS Original

"More specifically, my suggestion is that some 9/11 debunkers do the following: (1) Write their own reasoned call for a new investigation, based on legitimate questions, showing by example how to write a legitimate call;"

As we've debated in the other topic, and as I've stated there, I don't advocate for a new investigation. I'd like to hear other 9/11 debunkers' views on this specific question but I venture to say (without putting words in his mouth) that Ed probably doesn't either. Such an investigation would be counterproductive, a waste of money and a three-ring circus that would wind up as nothing but a huge boon to the CT movement.

Also as we've debated in that other topic, there's really not very much to investigate, at least at a high full blown blue-ribbon-panel level. Sibel Edmonds's complaints are personnel and policy complaints within the FBI. To the extent her allegations have credence, I see no reason why an internal FBI policy board can't resolve them adequately. On the Zelikow and the "Commission was too rushed to do its job" issues, there's no "there" there. There are no specific allegations to investigate, thus rendering the idea of a new investigation essentially open-ended, which is ringing teh dinner bell for the Truthers and their crazies to try to get Willie Rodriguez and Richard Gage on CSPAN in front of a Congressional panel. What you seem to want from another investigation is basically a fishing trip. I remain unconvinced that this is a worthy expenditure of taxpayer dollars.

Furthermore, what I think I see here is that your organization is bending over backwards to find some common ground with Truthers, and you view a call for a new investigation as something you can sell to both Truthers and non-Truthers alike. Since you agreed with my statement that the best Truthers can hope for from a new investigation along the lines you're calling for is that it would stumble upon the "evidence" that Truthers insist is out there for a conspiracy, and that they would support a new investigation on that slender hope, I see the call for a new investigation as less substantive than logistical, i.e., a departure point for some sort of dialogue with the Truth movement. That sort of thing should never be the purpose of a high-level government-funded investigation for which we, the taxpayers, will pay.

"(2) point out that it's very important to make sure that one is asking the right questions;"

This again assumes that a new investigation is a good idea, which itself assumes that there's some truth (forgive the expression) that remains unstated or covered-up by the previous investigation. Indeed the NYARRB position papers assume as an axiom that the original 9/11 Commission covered something up, although the position papers are extremely careful not to venture a guess as to what that is. So you're reassuring Truthers that you do believe there is a cover-up of something, while telling non-Truthers that you're not saying what has been covered up is a conspiracy. What, therefore, are the "right" questions? Questions carefully crafted so as to avoid investigating woo subjects that will alienate non-Truthers, but are sufficiently open-ended enough to not squelch the valiant hope of the Truthers that the smoking gun for the conspiracy will at last be uncovered? I have a bit of a difficulty with this.

"and (3) point out that it is, therefore, very important for people in the 9/11 Truth movement to start paying more attention to what the better debunkers are saying."

I can't disagree with that, but question whether a better goal is not necessarily to "reform" Truthers--the vast majority of whom are inaccessible to logical arguments and absolutely convinced of conspiracy--but to prevent the Truth movement from gaining any mainstream credibility and thus persuade people who are now fence-sitters that there must be something to it. That is, at least, my main goal in debunking. I have little faith that hardcore CTs can ever be converted, but what skeptics can and should do is everything in their power to make sure conspiracy movements like 9/11 Truth, Zeitgeist and the Alex Jones crowd remain as fringe and as marginalized as possible and absolutely prevent them from gaining any sort of mainstream cachet. Calling for a new investigation is, in my opinion, absolutely the wrong approach to take in order to achieve that goal.

#49 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 18:11
(0)

CS Original

Muertos wrote:

On the Zelikow and the "Commission was too rushed to do its job" issues, there's no "there" there.

To me it seems self-evident that the Commission's clearly unfinished job ought to get finished.

It seems to me that you and Ed are resisting this self-evident desideratum solely, or at least primarily, out of a fear of legitimizing the 9/11 Truth movement.

I'm not the best person to come up with a good, sound, up-to-date list of questions to be investigated. I spent a lot of time learning about 9/11 in mid-to-late 2007 and early 2008, and since then I've done a yearly brush-up during the summers of 2008 and 2009 in preparation for the 9/11 anniversary events, but I don't consider myself an expert. I would like to see a good list of questions be developed by an activist committee that included at least one debunker (specializing in 9/11) as well as someone like Paul Thompson. I don't consider myself to be qualified to be on such a committee -- except, perhaps, as a moderator.

I see the call for a new investigation as less substantive than logistical, i.e., a departure point for some sort of dialogue with the Truth movement. That sort of thing should never be the purpose of a high-level government-funded investigation for which we, the taxpayers, will pay.

It's largely logistical in terms of NYARBB's agenda, but this presupposes that the new investigation is also desirable in its own right. Obviously, dialogue with the 9/11 Truth movement would not be, in and of itself, a good justification for having an investigation at taxpayer. It's only a justification for getting off one's butt and doing something about it, provided that the investigation is also a good idea on more intrinsic grounds -- which to me it obviously is.

I [...] question whether a better goal is not necessarily to "reform" Truthers--the vast majority of whom are inaccessible to logical arguments and absolutely convinced of conspiracy--but to prevent the Truth movement from gaining any mainstream credibility and thus persuade people who are now fence-sitters that there must be something to it.

I disagree that the "vast majority ... are inaccessible to logical arguments." My perspective is based on interaction with 9/11 Truth movement activists offline as well as online.

To the extent that, in your own experience, the vast majority seem to be inaccessible to logical arguments, I believe that that is largely due to the following three factors:

1) There are indeed a lot of crazy idiots online, and some offline as well. But we don't know what percentage of those seeming crazy idiots are hoaxters. You do know, from your own personal direct experience, that at least two of them (including your own alter ego) are hoaxters. There are probably more. The only question is, how many more. I would suspect quite a few more -- although, of course, I don't know this for sure.

2) You deem certain ideas (e.g. WTC demolition) to be intrinsically crazy, not fully understanding how these ideas, though mistaken, do indeed fit in with a lot of sane people's intuitions.

3) Because of your (and most other debunkers') preferred strategy of discrediting rather than dialoguing with 9/11 Truth advocates, you don't communicate in a manner that would be likely to convince them. Hence, your attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There do indeed exist dogmatic adherents of every point of view, and 9/11 inside job claims are no exception. But 9/11 inside job claims are no worse, in this regard, than any other point of view.

#50 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 19:23
(0)

CS Original

Diane, you've made a couple of statements here that indicate that you and I see the issue of 9/11 fundamentally differently. (That much should be obvious by now).

You seem to be treating 9/11 as if it's a matter of belief or opinion. What I'm getting from your statements is that you regard belief or non-belief in 9/11 conspiracy as a sort of legitimate personal choice. I may choose to be Jewish or Anglican, I may choose to be a Democrat or a member of the Reform Party, I may choose to support Scientology or save the whales or whatever. Consequently, you seem to approach the issue from the standpoint of, all of these intelligent, articulate and reasonable Truthers you claim to know who argue so cogently and so intelligently for their "point of view" on 9/11 are perfectly reasonable in holding those beliefs, just the same as if they chose to be one religion or another or hold one or another political beliefs.

Zeitgeisters do the same thing when we call them on the lies and deceptions in Peter Merola's movies. They seem to exist in a universe where what happened on 9/11 is subject to more than one perfectly reasonable interpretation, and their endorsement of Merola's views is no less intellectually valid than mine. Consequently, they can rationalize Merola's lies because he's arguing for "another viewpoint" and it's the act of opening one's mind to this "other viewpoint" which is the important thing.

This conception of the problem fundamentally misses what I, at least, think about the issue of 9/11 conspiracies.

What happened on 9/11 is not a viewpoint. It is a fact. It's an absolute reality, scientifically provable, historically documented, 100% no-question-about-it fact. When they talk about 9/11 Peter Merola, Alex Jones, Nicholas Levis, Richard Gage, Steven Jones, Charlie Sheen, Rosie O'Donnell, Dylan Avery, Judy Wood and David Icke are advocating demonstrably false conclusions of fact. There are three, and ONLY three, explanations for this. They are either: (1) deliberately lying, as Merola and Jones probably are; (2) incompetently, outrageously and inexcusably mistaken, as Gage, Jones, Levis, O'Donnell, Sheen, and Avery probably are; or (3) delusional, as Icke and Wood probably are. Likely the lines blur depending on the individual case, but these are the only three explanations.

I've been trained as a historian and a lawyer. Both of these professions are predicated on finding out what the facts are and drawing conclusions from them. In a courtroom trial, one side wins and the other loses. The defendant committed the murder. The accountant stole the money. The contract was broken or it wasn't. Same in history. George Washington was the first President of the United States. John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln. The Roman Empire fell for a number of complex reasons. Believing otherwise is not rational.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with insisting that people's actions be based on demonstrable fact. It's not like religious faith which does not need to be, and usually isn't, based on fact. I'm not arguing for a "point of view." I am arguing for the facts. That's the difference. Why is insisting upon the facts in any way unreasonable?

I also find it interesting that this relativistic view of yours only goes so far. You seem as inalterably opposed to Illuminati and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories as I obviously am about any type of 9/11 Truth belief. You and I seem to agree that believing in the Illuminati is absolutely unacceptable under any circumstances and that this belief must be stamped out. I just question if there's a meaningful difference between those people and 9/11 Truthers in general--or at least a difference wide enough to make it justifiable to get in bed with one group of people who want to do violence to fact and reason (9/11 Truthers) in order to target another group of people who stand for the same thing.

#51 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Edward L WinstonPosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 19:43
(0)

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho: porn star and five-time ultimate smackdown wrestling champion!

Level: 150
CS Original

I think we need one of those slow starting, 1980s movie clappings for Muertos. I think you basically summed up not only the truth movement, but conspiracy theories in general.

#52 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 21, 2010 - 22:05
(0)

CS Original

Muertos wrote:

What happened on 9/11 is not a viewpoint. It is a fact. It's an absolute reality, scientifically provable, historically documented, 100% no-question-about-it fact.

Different aspects of 9/11 differ in how "absolute reality, scientifically provable, historically documented" they are. For example, it's "100% no-question-about-it fact" that planes did hit the towers, and this should be obvious to everyone. But there are other aspects of 9/11 for which it's much harder for the average person to know what the facts are, such as what all was going on in the intelligence agencies on and before that day. On such matters, there's more than one reasonable or at least semi-reasonable guess that people can make.

When they talk about 9/11 Peter Merola, Alex Jones, Nicholas Levis, Richard Gage, Steven Jones, Charlie Sheen, Rosie O'Donnell, Dylan Avery, Judy Wood and David Icke are advocating demonstrably false conclusions of fact. There are three, and ONLY three, explanations for this. They are either: (1) deliberately lying, as Merola and Jones probably are; (2) incompetently, outrageously and inexcusably mistaken, as Gage, Jones, Levis, O'Donnell, Sheen, and Avery probably are; or (3) delusional, as Icke and Wood probably are.

There's a fourth option: "mistaken," without all the perjoratives. How "inexcusable," etc. it is for a particular person to be mistaken about some particular thing depends on many factors.

I've been trained as a historian and a lawyer. Both of these professions are predicated on finding out what the facts are and drawing conclusions from them.

My background is in math and computer science, where standards of proof are stricter, hence there's more room for I-don't-know on matters that have not been proven. A math professor once told me it was his impression that prosecutors don't like having mathematicians on the jury, because a jury of mathematicians would hardly ever find anyone guilty. (I'm not sure how accurate his impression was. Maybe you, with your law background, are in a better position to tell me how prosecutors feel about mathematicians on the jury.)

I'm not arguing for a "point of view." I am arguing for the facts. That's the difference. Why is insisting upon the facts in any way unreasonable?

"Insisting upon the facts" is not unreasonable, insofar as the facts are indeed known. Some things can be iffy, such as debates over whether a particular news story has been adequately corroborated. There can be shades of gray here, and legitimate disagreement on which sources are considered reliable and why. Or so it seems to me, anyway.

I also find it interesting that this relativistic view of yours only goes so far.

Indeed, I don't have a totally "relativistic" view.

You seem as inalterably opposed to Illuminati and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories as I obviously am about any type of 9/11 Truth belief. You and I seem to agree that believing in the Illuminati is absolutely unacceptable under any circumstances and that this belief must be stamped out.

Yes, the idea that all major world trends are part of some centuries-old or millenia-old unified, coordinated plan by some alleged centuries-old or millenia-old secret cabal is utterly contrary to the way the world really works. There are many different interest groups with many different agendas. The idea that they all share a common secret puppetmaster, and have done so for centuries, is just silly, at least to anyone who has any idea of how politics works on a large scale.

Furthermore, such beliefs are extremely dangerous because, although they target an alleged evil elite, they nearly always vilify some larger group that includes plenty of non-elite people too (such as Jews). Hence, when grand conspiracy ideology gets popular, lots of non-elite people get hurt.

#53 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 22, 2010 - 05:05
(0)

CS Original

Clarification to something I wrote earlier:

"Insisting upon the facts" is not unreasonable, insofar as the facts are indeed known. Some things can be iffy, such as debates over whether a particular news story has been adequately corroborated. There can be shades of gray here, and legitimate disagreement on which sources are considered reliable and why. Or so it seems to me, anyway.

Of course, this certainly isn't true of all news stories. Some things really are cut-and-dried, but others aren't. The point is that I apparently see more shades of gray than you do.

#54 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Apr 22, 2010 - 11:59
(0)

CS Original

"But there are other aspects of 9/11 for which it's much harder for the average person to know what the facts are, such as what all was going on in the intelligence agencies on and before that day. On such matters, there's more than one reasonable or at least semi-reasonable guess that people can make."

The universe of unknown facts about 9/11 is comparatively small. And none rise to the level of changing the fundamental nature of the event, because if those facts were consequential enough, their existence and their consequential nature would at least be suggested by other facts. The facts that really make a difference--that Osama and Khalid sheikh Mohammed planned the attacks, that there was no unequivocal warning, that they hijacked planes, etc., etc.--are all known. Even the most tepid "LIHOP Lite" scenario, which almost NO Truthers believe in anyway, cannot be supported by the facts that are known and which are unequivocal.

Do we known all that was going on in the intelligence agencies on and before that day? No, we probably don't. How much could it matter that we don't? Probably not much. Don't you think if there was a memo sitting on somebody's desk at CIA headquarters dated September 10 saying, "WARNING: WE THINK AL QAEDA HIJACKERS ARE GOING TO CRASH PLANES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER TOMORROW, BETTER SOUND THE ALERT!" that a piece of evidence of that importance would have come to light, even in the 9/11 Commission investigation that you continue to insist was so rushed and inadequate?

So how reasonable is it to believe that there still is some "smoking gun" out there that has the potential of changing the whole game? Not very.

"There can be shades of gray here, and legitimate disagreement on which sources are considered reliable and why."

Sure, but again, the key facts are known and indisputable. What is disputable or unknown, or legitimately subject to a "shade of gray" analysis, is relatively insignificant.

Let's take a non-9/11 example. In late September 1963 Lee Harvey Oswald was reported to have shown up at the door of Sylvia Odio, an anti-Castro Cuban exile who lived somewhere in Texas. Oswald's presence there was never satisfactorily explained. This is clearly a "shade of gray" case where not all the facts are known. Would I like to know what Oswald was doing there? Sure, I'd love to. But whatever the answer to that question is, is it capable of altering the conclusions we must draw from the other facts that are known about the JFK assassination--that Oswald fired from the Book Depository, that there were three bullets, that Kennedy was struck from behind, and that the bullets that killed him were matched to Oswald's gun--namely, the conclusion that Oswald killed JFK? No. Whatever he was doing at Sylvia Odio's door can't alter that conclusion.

About mathematicians on a jury, I've never been a prosecutor but if I was I'd probably like a juror like that. A mathematician would understand that Victim + bullets matched to defendant's gun + proof that defendant owned the gun + motive + opportunity + lack of alibi = conviction. It would be philosophy majors I'd steer clear of with all their "How can we really know what we know?" bullshit. And conspiracy theorists, of course.

#55 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 22, 2010 - 12:44
(0)

CS Original

Muertos wrote:

The universe of unknown facts about 9/11 is comparatively small. And none rise to the level of changing the fundamental nature of the event, because if those facts were consequential enough, their existence and their consequential nature would at least be suggested by other facts. The facts that really make a difference--that Osama and Khalid sheikh Mohammed planned the attacks, that there was no unequivocal warning, that they hijacked planes, etc., etc.--are all known.

I wouldn't be so sure "that there was no unequivocal warning." This is precisely the sort of thing that could conceivably be buried in the boxes of classified material that the Commission asked for and received too late to have time to look at it.

Don't you think if there was a memo sitting on somebody's desk at CIA headquarters dated September 10 saying, "WARNING: WE THINK AL QAEDA HIJACKERS ARE GOING TO CRASH PLANES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER TOMORROW, BETTER SOUND THE ALERT!" that a piece of evidence of that importance would have come to light, even in the 9/11 Commission investigation that you continue to insist was so rushed and inadequate?

Not necessarily. It seems to me that there are any number of reasons why such a warning might have gotten deeply buried, including but not limited to an erroneous assessment of its credibility. And it seems to me that there are any number of reasons why such a warning might have gotten subsequently covered up, including but not limited to sheer embarrassment over a failure to recognize its importance.

So how reasonable is it to believe that there still is some "smoking gun" out there that has the potential of changing the whole game?

At the present time, I don't think it's very likely, but I also think this is a matter on which reasonable people can arrive at different guesses. There's a lot that I just don't know about how the intelligence agencies work, and that most other people don't know either. This is an inherently murky topic, given the secrecy involved.

About mathematicians: See The Omega Man from New Scientist magazine, 10 March 2001.

#56 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 22, 2010 - 13:14
(0)

CS Original

Muertos wrote:

A mathematician would understand that Victim + bullets matched to defendant's gun + proof that defendant owned the gun + motive + opportunity + lack of alibi = conviction.

Not quite. The above is actually an example of a nonmonotonic inference, which differs substantially from the much stricter kind of reasoning used in mathematical proofs.

In your example above, the defendant could claim that the gun was stolen the day before the murder, and hence was out of his/her possession at the time of the murder. The defendant might not be able to provide evidence for this claim at the time of the trial, resulting in a conviction, but such evidence might turn up later.

Edit: A mathematician would agree with your "equation" in a probabilistic way only.

#57 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 22, 2010 - 14:09
(0)

CS Original

P.S. to Muertos: On re-reading your post, I see that "Victim + bullets matched to defendant's gun + proof that defendant owned the gun + motive + opportunity + lack of alibi = conviction" might have been intended as a reference to the JFK assassination.

In my post above, I took it as a more general hypothetical example of the kind of reasoning you would expect from mathematicians, and not specifically as a reference to the JFK assassination.

Edit: About the JFK assassination, I have no comment because I have never bothered to study it at all. I know only that this is a topic on which historians are at variance with what has become very widespread popular opinion.

Further P.S.: Just one point about the JFK assassination: Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the historians are 100% irrefutably correct, do you dismiss the vast number of people who believe otherwise as completely insane? Or are they just mistaken and perhaps in need of training in critical thinking?

#58 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Apr 22, 2010 - 18:32
(0)

CS Original

"I wouldn't be so sure "that there was no unequivocal warning." This is precisely the sort of thing that could conceivably be buried in the boxes of classified material that the Commission asked for and received too late to have time to look at it."

But this is the sort of thing that precisely proves my point as to why the unanswered questions about 9/11 must by definition be fairly low-level ones. If such an "unequivocal warning" memo existed it would NOT be buried in a box. Memos don't spring into existence. Some human being has to write them. If such a warning existed I guarantee you that whoever wrote this memo, whoever read it or whoever put it away in a box would certainly remember having seen it on September 10 given the exact nature of its prediction. That person would have been the first one interviewed by the 9/11 Commission. It's not like Lee Hamilton would have said, "Oh, well, we'll get to that if we have time...oops, guess we don't have time, so kthxbye!" If that HAD happened, the person who wrote this memo or somebody who read it would have called CNN and we'd all know about it.

This is what I meant by saying that the facts we don't know can't be very consequential, because if they were so consequential their existence and importance would at least be suggested by the facts we DO know. If a memo like this had ever existed or a warning like this had ever actually be received, at the very least somebody somewhere would be scratching their head saying, "You know, I vaguely recall so-and-so saying that we got a piece of intelligence out of Yemen in August '01 that was pretty important, but I can't remember what it was." If it was so important that it could have blown the whole thing open, its importance would have been self-evident to somebody on the day of 9/11, don't you think?

"It seems to me that there are any number of reasons why such a warning might have gotten deeply buried, including but not limited to an erroneous assessment of its credibility. And it seems to me that there are any number of reasons why such a warning might have gotten subsequently covered up, including but not limited to sheer embarrassment over a failure to recognize its importance."

Nonsense. How could a secret like that be kept so well for 9 years? Not ONE whistleblower? Not ONE person getting cold feet or saying, "You know, maybe I shouldn't have shredded that memo 9 years ago"? Not ONE person going on Oprah, or at least the Alex Jones show, screeching to the world that there was a cover-up? The White House couldn't keep Watergate secret for even 6 months. You think it's plausible that something of this importance is buried in a box with absolutely no other evidence even indicating its existence? And you want your tax dollars spent on a large-scale investigation to track it down? Really?

Your mention of the "LIHOP Lite" scenario as an example of a "reasonable" Truther belief does not strike me as particularly reasonable at all. Here you have a theory that proceeds from a desperate desire to blame the government for something, however attenuated, regardless of evidence. Somebody somewhere in the big bad gubbermint saw that Al Qaida was going to attack and quietly buried a memo, deciding it was better to let them get away with it than it was to try to prevent it. Essentially this is a conspiracy theory designed by a marketing committee. It carefully avoids lunacy like controlled demolition and all the illogic and implausibilities therein while still reaching the same finish line (big bad gubbermint did it) that Truthers need to reach in order to sign off on it. Never mind that this theory itself suffers from the same defects as the other woo claims (where did this memo come from? whoever wrote it didn't get cold feet or tempted by a book deal? who would have the power to cover something like that up? how come there's no evidence whatsoever of a cover-up?), it sounds like something that might be vaguely salable to the Truth crowd that won't accept exploding paint and space beams on faith.

I see no meaningful difference between "LIHOP Lite" and space beams--certainly no difference that warrants treating the purveyors of these theories as anything other than irrational conspiracy theorists, which is what they are, and which is also what the "grand conspiracy ideology" believers that you and I both hate also are.

You bring up a point about JFK that I'd like to deal with in a separate topic.

#59 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
DianePosted: Apr 22, 2010 - 22:27
(0)

CS Original

Muertos wrote:

If such a warning existed I guarantee you that whoever wrote this memo, whoever read it or whoever put it away in a box would certainly remember having seen it on September 10 given the exact nature of its prediction. That person would have been the first one interviewed by the 9/11 Commission.

One would think so, but perhaps not. Patty Casazza, one of the four "Jersey Girls" who led the lobbying effort that created the 9/11 Commission, claims to have met some whistleblowers who claimed to have known the exact date, targets, and method of the attack. And she claims to have tried in vain to get the 9/11 Commission to subpoena these witnesses. Alas, I don't know the details of who these alleged whistleblowers were, let alone any basis for judging how credible they were. Perhaps the 9/11 Commission's research staff concluded that they were not credible? If so, such judgments can perhaps be mistaken. I don't have great faith in the ability of any bureaucracy to determine who are the best people to talk to.

If that HAD happened, the person who wrote this memo or somebody who read it would have called CNN and we'd all know about it.

I wouldn't be so sure of this. The witnesses might prefer to confine themselves to going through their chain of command, to avoid losing their jobs and to avoid breaking laws against revealing classified information. Patty Casazza says her alleged whistleblowers were unwilling to discuss specifics unless they were subpoenaed.

Furthermore, getting mass media publicity isn't always the easiest thing in the world, even on very important matters. The mass media have a gazillion things competing for their attention. It would seem that the mass media now consider the Jersey Girls to be old news. Apparently they are unable to get a hearing anymore anywhere except 9/11 Truth conferences.

If a memo like this had ever existed or a warning like this had ever actually be received, at the very least somebody somewhere would be scratching their head saying, "You know, I vaguely recall so-and-so saying that we got a piece of intelligence out of Yemen in August '01 that was pretty important, but I can't remember what it was."If it was so important that it could have blown the whole thing open, its importance would have been self-evident to somebody on the day of 9/11, don't you think?

If someone had voiced such a vague recollection, would you have recommended that it be investigated? The "Able Danger" story is commonly dismissed, by debunkers, as even a clue worth pursuing, precisely because it's based just on some people's recollections.

Nonsense. How could a secret like that be kept so well for 9 years? Not ONE whistleblower? Not ONE person getting cold feet or saying, "You know, maybe I shouldn't have shredded that memo 9 years ago"? Not ONE person going on Oprah, or at least the Alex Jones show, screeching to the world that there was a cover-up?

Patty Casazza has indeed been screeching about this. Also, some of the 9/11 Whistleblowers on Sibel Edmonds's list claim to have had knowledge relevant to the 9/11 attacks and claim to have tried in vain to be heard by the Commission. I'm not sure whether these are the same whistleblowers Patty Casazza says she was approached by. (The whistleblowers on Sibel Edmonds's list do not seem to be claiming knowledge quite as specific as was claimed by Patty Casazza's alleged whistleblowers.)

I see no meaningful difference between "LIHOP Lite" and space beams

There is plenty of difference. In my eyes, the above statement is a blatantly absurd example of black-and-white thinking.

In fact, for those 9/11 Truth activists who may wish to discredit debunkers, I think one of their best strategies might be to corner the debunkers into making statements like the above, and then use such statements to show that the debunkers are, at the very least, irrationally biased (if not outright dishonest).

Be that as it may, I should add that "LIHOP Lite" is not the only possible explanation, should it turn out that Patty Casazza'a alleged witnesses exist, are telling the truth, and are being accurately represented by her. The warnings might simply have been wrongly dismissed as not credible, and then covered up after 9/11 due to sheer embarrassment.

Nevertheless, even this would be a significant revision to the story as told in the 9/11 Commission Report, and might result in the relevant people being held accountable. And that would be worth a new investigation.

#60 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]